Saturday, October 08, 2011

Essential Oils, Do They Work?

I've started getting back into essential oils and adding them to my own lotion and base oils. I love the smell of the natural oils vs. all the perfumes and other stuff you find out there. I used to make my own lotion and really should start again but I digress. Do the oils work? I think on some level they probably work better. Hubby tends to get cold sores on his lip and just fights with it for a week or more, so I made him a blend of oils to use then I also got a small tube of Abreva which he wanted to try. In this case, he felt that the oils were more of a benefit than the Abreva. We will soon find out if the sore heals faster than if he didn't use it. The last time the sore lasted 7 days and right now we are on day 2. If you suffer from cold sores I would recommend you try the oils. There might be a blend out there already but if not you can make your own. These are the combination of oils and amounts that I used.

8 drops of Tea Tree
3 drops of Lemon
5 drops of Lavender
8 drops of Geranium
6 drops of Chamomile

Blend in a small dark bottle. Apply one drop to a cotton swap or cotton ball that you have wet with water and apply directly to the sore.

There are some really good brands of essential oils and I try to find the ones that are organic. Check a local health food store as they will probably have a good selection.

If you want to have a good reference book, my favorite is The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood.

I'll let you know how the cold sore therapy goes and if the time frame decreases. Now to work on a blend for tendinitis.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:41 AM

    I don't really know if essential oils really work, but I can't live without lavender oil and eucalyptus oil! I think they work for me :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin